Home Remedies for Upset Stomach
An upset stomach is a common problem that affects everyone, whether infant, child, teen or adult.
Upset stomach is a general term that refers to a variety of symptoms. These include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn or stomach pain. There could be innumerable causes.
Home remedies for upset stomach are effective in mild cases. If you believe that your discomfort is due to something else, see a doctor immediately. Abdominal pain could signal organ distress that requires emergency medical care.
If you have the garden variety stomachache, there are many things you can do to alleviate the discomfort. Stomachaches often clear up with time and simple home remedies.
See your doctor if the pain is severe.
- Try this simple yoga movement. Lie on your back and gently bring your knees to your chest. Then lift your head towards your knee. This relieves bloating and gas.
- A warm cup of peppermint tea can also help. If you like, sweeten it with honey. Honey is a natural moisturizer and can soothe the stomach. Peppermint is a time-tested home remedy for stomach discomfort. You can also try ginger. This helps nausea and is available in herbal tea form. Prepare your own herbal teas with fresh ingredients. For peppermint, steep fresh leaves in hot water for five to 10 minutes, strain and enjoy. For ginger, steep a tea infuser filled with chopped ginger in hot water for five to 10 minutes.
- Foods like apples, bananas, toast and Greek yogurt are good choices when the stomach is upset.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and caffeine when your stomach is upset. Steer clear of milk, which can trigger lactose-intolerance. Also avoid fatty foods.
- Sip plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and ease bloating.
~ Ajeet Khurana